Thursday, June 28, 2007

Phil and Don Were Really One Singer

I have to say: I think that this performance of "All I Have To Do Is Dream" by the Everly Brothers is one of the most amazing pop vocal duo performances I've ever heard.



If Phil and Don were just playing it straight, up-tempo, singing the melody unembellished with all of the phrasing that they'd employed in the original recording, I'd be unimpressed.

But notice how they not only slow the tempo down, but they bend and stretch the phrasing, playing with the lengths of notes and rests... and yet, for all of the liberties they take with the song, never once do their voices veer from each other. Both of them are synchronized, note-perfect, from start to finish, around every melodic bend and stretch of phrase. Amazing.

How many times have you seen a pair (or more) of singers try to do this very thing with a song, and one (or both of them) is off, and their attempt at playing with the phrasing and timing falls flat and fails because one is lagging behind the beat while the other is ahead, or vice versa?

I stand slackjawed in awe. Again, I mean: Really. Freakin'. Amazing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home